Get to Know Your New Work Home
New faculty members go through orientation with the Office of the Provost, in partnership with Human Resources and Payroll, and the Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning at the beginning of each academic year.
Due to health and safety concerns regarding COVID-19, New Faculty Orientation and New Adjunct Faculty Success Workshop will be held virtually this August. While the delivery format has changed, new faculty will still get acquainted with Mason through hearing from key leadership and junior faculty colleagues, socializing with fellow new faculty, and choosing from a variety of workshops that support their roles as scholars, teachers, and mentors. The interactive, synchronous sessions will be complemented by engaging asynchronous materials that faculty can complete at their own convenience.
All orientation materials and session information will be hosted in Blackboard, via myMason. Synchronous sessions will be hosted through Zoom. Please review these resources that will support your access to myMason and Zoom and success in participating in orientation:
- Getting Started for Employees with ITS: Start here to set up your Mason email, activate Patriot Pass, log into myMason, and more. Access to these features may depend on when you and/or your department have completed onboarding with Human Resources and Payroll.
- Please note: After activating your Patriot Pass, it may take up to two (2) days to be able to log into myMason/Blackboard.
- Getting Started with Blackboard and myMason: Once you are able to log into myMason, use this page to access quick guides, videos on Blackboard training and innovative teaching, and support resources for troubleshooting.
- If you will not have your netID and Patriot Pass activated by your orientation date, please email Faculty Affairs and Development for a guest log-in ID.
- You will have access to the New Faculty Orientation or New Adjunct Faculty Success Workshop Blackboard course at noon on Tuesday, August 11th.
- Zoom Information from ITS: Mason faculty and staff are granted a Pro Zoom account.
- Activate your Patriot Pass prior to accessing Pro Zoom through Mason. Access to these features may depend on when you and/or your department have completed onboarding with Human Resources and Payroll.
- Zoom session information and additional support resources will be in the Blackboard course for each orientation.
The ITS Support Center is available to support you through your transition to Mason and our virtual environment.
Human Resources welcomes new faculty members by providing resources through the online portal for Human Resources Onboarding.
Support from the Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning will help you grow as as teachers, mentors, and colleagues.
I found the whole orientation to be hugely helpful and inspiring! Meeting new faculty and colleagues was a wonderful component of the orientation...the whole event was so seamlessly organized it made the experience fun and easy.
New Faculty Orientation attendee, 2018